The Firehouse Inn breathes new life into a bit of Newport's past! Originally built around 1888 by M.A. McCormick, the Queen-Anne style structure served as Newport Fire Department's Hose Co. 6. The Newport Fire Department opened Hose Co. 6 in 1892 as the fire station for the south section of Newport. The original building featured a castle-like look out tower that was used to stand watch for fires. The tower came down after it was damaged in the Hurricane of 1938. The building's most recent use was by Firehouse Pizza, a local pizzeria, that served patrons until 2012.
In 2016 the building was purchased with the intent to open the Firehouse Inn and restore the building to its former glory. In doing so, the building underwent a year long transformation in which it maintained its original slate roof and underwent an intensive brick, window and firehouse door restoration along with a complete overhaul of the building's interior. The newly named "Firehouse Inn" welcomed guests for the first time in September 2017.